Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hughenden - 28th July 2010 (Run 18)

Run Report by Heather


Well – here we go. I’ve finally been nobbled. After all these years of turning up to the odd Wednesday run and managing satisfactorily to lose everyone after about half a mile in order to continue my own gentle amble through Bucks countryside, disaster. I almost hung out for a complete run.
Having turned up at the Harrow, with Ellie, approximately one hour too early it transpired, she reminded me that the reason that no-one was there was that we were running from the church. We hot footed it to Hughenden just in time to spot a small gaggle of runners heading up the hill on a slightly overcast evening. What a relief, I thought. Lost them already. In order not to give up too quickly, we enthusiastically headed up the hill (the first is the worst) in hasty pursuit assuming happily that we’d have to catch up with them in the pub, only to discover that the mob had sneakily doubled back, we couldn’t hide – there was no escape.
Brett was disappointed that he had not spotted the short cut through the gate, resulting in the fact that he had run a few hundred yards more than necessary. Duds kept my spirits up by telling me that it was a good run to be participating in as the Fatties significantly outnumbered the Fitties and that it was a gentle jaunt of a run as opposed to a heart attack inducing 5 miler with at least 6 steep hills. We pounded through the Hughenden woods, John and Jules setting the pace followed closely by Kate and Amanda and then a sort of straggle of Steve, David, Duds, Selwyn, Brett, Ellie and I. (Maybe I should only speak for myself when I use the term ‘straggle’.) Ellie was a little worried that she’d be left for dead and find herself lost in the wilderness of High Wycombe, however – in the words of Gloria – she survived. Downley appeared on the radar, I noticed we passed at least two pubs without a backward look, no other landmarks really registered, across a couple of commons, back into the woods for a reasonable downhill return to base. Short and sweet. Lovely. Brett disappeared at some point – that old calf injury excuse again – but made it to the pub. Funny that. Jules, having also sustained some sort of injury, only managed to cycle to the run, rather than complete the usual half marathon to get there. However an extra circuit or two and a small sprint to the pub soon made up for it.
So to the Harrow for beer, wine and 6 pints of chips. Suzie turned up on her bike just in time for the pleasantries – with another injury to add to the list of ailments suffered by the merry band of runners.
Adam joined us for beer and I can’t really remember much about the conversation although I vaguely recall some mention of Alzheimer’s.
So – my first run report and quite possibly the last one I will be doing, due to the fact I feel that keeping up with you lot in the future may be unachievable. Can’t see it happening again in a hurry….
Duds will be doing next week’s run venue information along with the minimalist BBQ….. ? Does that mean half a sausage each? Or possibly no charcoal?

No comments: